Here at mtbchick, we talk about mountain bike racing all the time. Why is that? We love to race, we love to watch racing, and we love to support lady racers around us. For many of us, however, the thought of racing is terrifying. I mean, you could lose, you could be last, you could humiliate yourself. Right? “So what!” we say. Here are 5 reasons to give mountain bike racing a try!
1. It’s fun! What else can you do as an adult that makes you feel younger than riding a bike? Paying bills? Going to work? Sitting in traffic? When you’re racing, the atmosphere is exhilarating! There are so many fun and supportive women out there just waiting to race with you and cheer you on.
2. Nature (and Travel). Even in the middle of a city a mountain bike race happens in nature, no matter how small the space. While some mountain bike races wind through National Forest Service lands for 50 miles (Epic Rides’ Whiskey Off-Road or Grand Junction Off-Road to name two), many happen right in the middle of your town in a city or county park (Kenda Cup Series races). Get your time in nature, sign up for a mountain bike race!
3. Adrenaline. It may sound crazy, but adrenaline rushes are good for your well-being. Adrenaline lets you know you’re still alive. You might find a new addiction to replace one of your bad habits. What’s wrong with being addicted to mountain biking?
4. Goals. No matter how you feel about goal-setting, it’s great to have the thought of success ahead of you. Whether your goal is to finish a race, to win a race, to turn Pro or to be National Champion, it’s a valid goal worthy of your attention. It’s the goal that gets us on track and holds us accountable. The goal drives us to be a more disciplined version of our normal self. That discipline will spill over to the rest of your life, so we say, why not?
5. Meet new friends. The best thing about your new mountain bike friends is that they ride at your level and they likely need more women with whom to ride. Not to mention, now you have friends from all over the World. Mountain bike racing opens up so many doors for friendship, camaraderie, and the always much needed girl-time. The shared experience of suffering and adrenaline rush filled descents brings you together with a truly unique and elite group of women!
So if you are on the fence, you now have 5 more reasons to try mountain bike racing!
Now, good luck to you! (And please, leave us a comment if you have a good reason to race, or a great race for women!)